We have had numerous tractors over the years, and we’ll share the year they were made and what their jobs were/are.
1928 John Deere Model “E”: This engine was dubbed the “Hit or Miss” engine by many users. We used it to pull the water pump at the old farmhouse. We are still in possession of this engine.
1930 John Deere Model “D”: Not much is known about this tractor. It was purchased by Raymond C. Woods in 1931 after renting out the Ragsdale farm. This tractor was set in all steel, even the wheels. This tractor was the only tractor that we own(ed) that had a wide front end. We are no longer in possession of the tractor.
1938 John Deere Model “G”: The John Deere Model “G” was bought brand-new by Raymond C. Woods in 1938. He kept 2 of these tractors. They were used for just about every job, next to the “D” and “E”. We are no longer in possession of either of these tractors.
1941 John Deere Model “B”: The John Deere Model “B” was purchased brand-new by Raymond C. Woods in 1941. He bought the tractor with a sprayer implement, which is still on the tractor today. He also used the “B” for odd-jobs around the farm. The tractor can be seen on the left. We are still in possession of the tractor and sprayer.
1956 John Deere 50: The John Deere 50 was the first tractor every purchased by William Woods in 1956. The 50 has a 2 cylinder engine (as are the 620 & 720), granting it the term “Two-Banger” was used to drill wheat, and cut grass with a sickle mower. The 50 was also responsible for all of the “Odd Jobs” around the farm. We are still in possession of the 50 and the sickle mower.
1957 John Deere 620: The John Deere 620 was a two-cylinder tractor bought by Mr. William Woods in 1957. The 620 has a front loader from the “A” series and is still on the tractor today. The 620 was responsible for loading hay bales into the shed, and anything else that required a front loader. The 620 also was known to occasionally pull the sickle mower. We are still in possession of the 620 & Front Loader.
1958 John Deere 720: The John Deere 720 was the final two cylinder tractor purchased by Mr. William Woods. The 720 was responsible for planting corn and beans. The 720 was also responsible for pulling the cultivator. We are still in possession of the 720.
1960 John Deere 45: The John Deere 45 was a three-row, open-topped combine. This was the first combine that the Woods family ever owned, before this, all of the crops were harvested with a pull-behind implement. We are no longer in possession of this combine.
1964 John Deere 4020 Diesel: The John Deere 4020 is a widely recognized tractor, and we expect that it will continue to stay that way for another 15 years. The 4020 was responsible for bush hogging and pulling grain/hay wagons. We are still in possession of the 4020 and it’s bush hog.
1974 John Deere 4400: The John Deere 4400 was the second and last combine ever owned by the Woods Family. The John Deere 4400 always pushed a 4-row implement. The 4400 was the only closed-topped combine owned by the Woods family. We are no longer in possession of the 4400.
1976 John Deere 4430: The John Deere 4430 was the only closed-cabbed tractor purchased by Mr. William Woods. The 4430 was responsible for plowing, planting corn, and occasionally bush hogging. We are no longer in possession of the 4430.